Monday, June 15, 2015

Summer

It's been busy around here. As summer comes in properly, the list of must-do items lengthens, while the weather gives fewer excuses. Among other tasks, I got the old fence around barn side of the North Paddock torn down, and ordered new "official" farm gates instead of old home-made ones. Aimee rebuilt two items of furniture, the coffee table from the porch, much-chewed by dogs, and a sideboard for which she has ordered a granite top, intending to make a surface for baking bread and rolling pie crust.

I would like to state for the record that I am quite definitely in favor of bread and pie.

The garden got weeded fully once and is in the process of getting weeded again. The truck and Aimee's Matrix passed their state inspections. I replaced the old doors in the kitchen with new, energy-efficient ones, which Aimee promptly painted "Colorado Dawn," AKA pastel orange for the rest of us.


The Land Rover got a second rear seal, which also leaked, prompting me to call a Land Rover mechanic I know for advice, which turned out to be wrong, and then I figured it out on my own and am now just waiting for parts. As a general result, I can now remove a Land Rover engine in only two hours, and it takes only three for me to refit one. Practice makes perfect, he said, glass half full.



Here's where the seal goes, right next to the rear main bearing journal. However, it goes on the outside of the pressure plates, not the inside. 


And this is the result of putting it on the inside.

I finally figured out where it goes Sunday, after a few hours of quiet tinkering. Who says an old dog can't teach himself a new trick?

And, last but not least, we looked after Roo.Who shows signs of walking soon. She can stand up and walk if she holds on to your fingers with both little hands.


Roo appears to take a "selfie."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome to our Farm Blog.
The purpose of this blog is for Aimee and I to communicate with friends and family, with those of our students, and other folks in general who are interested in homesteading and farming activities.

The earliest posts, at the very end of the blog, tell the story of the Great Farm, our purchase of a fragment of that farm, the renovation of the homestead and its populating with people and animals. Go all the way to the last post in the archive and read backwards from there to get it in chronological order.

After getting tired of spam comments (up to a dozen or more per day), I required commentators to be Google "registered users". You can write me at mwomersley@unity.edu if you have a serious comment or question and are not a registered user.

Spammers -- don't bother writing -- there's no way I will post your spam to my blog. Just go away.